The COVID-19 pandemic, unprecedented in our lifetime, has catapulted each one of us into an extended season of uncertainty and isolation. We are blessed at Small Steps to be a part of a loving and generous community, and you are an important part of our Small Steps family. In the wake of COVID-19, the health and safety of our community remains our top priority.
Small Steps’ campuses have been closed to students and families since mid-March, following Houston ISD’s closure decision and Governor Abbott’s orders. Throughout the summer, we are making active preparations to open safely in August.
During this uncertain time, we are continually evaluating the needs of our students and their families and working to determine how we can best serve them.
FOOD AND NECESSITIES
Through communication with our families, we have learned that loss of wages and subsequently access to food and other necessities is the primary concern for those in our community. In response, we:
- Distributed food daily for 2 weeks through a partnership with Kids’ Meals and Second Servings
- Collected and distributed more than 1,350 boxes of food, prepared to sustain a family for a week, over the following 8 weeks
- Served 92 families per week, on average
- Provided diapers, baby wipes, gift cards, and other necessities through donations from our Amazon Wish List
Without the incredible generosity of our community and many partners, this effort would not have been possible. Thank you!
Help assemble a food box for a family. (OPPORTUNITY CLOSED)
Thank you to the many community supporters who assembled and donated more than 1,350 food boxes throughout this season. These food boxes provided for our food-insecure families, sustaining them not just for one day at a time, but on a week-long basis.
Purchase grocery store gift cards. (PRIORITY NEED)
We will be distributing grocery store gift cards to our families at a mid-July distribution event. Please consider donating gifts cards in $25 or $50 denominations from Kroger, Fiesta, and/or Wal-Mart.
To contribute in this way, you can:
- Purchase gift cards in store and drop them off at the school on Wednesday, July 8 between 10 am-12 pm.
- Purchase gift cards online from Kroger or Wal-Mart and have them mailed to the school (2902 Jensen Dr. Houston TX 77026) by Thursday, July 9.
- Make a donation online, and we will purchase gift cards on your behalf. Please note the purpose of your donation as “COVID gift card.”
Purchase family necessities from our Amazon Wish List. Diapers and Visa gift cards are the biggest needs.
Donate to Small Steps. Help support us through this time by giving to our general operating fund in support of our staff and school.
If you know of friends and family members who are looking to make an impact in our community in a safe way, please do not hesitate to pass this opportunity along. We are acutely aware that our families are among the most vulnerable at this time, and we are overwhelmingly grateful for your support of Small Steps and our mission.
Have more questions, contact Madeleine Haynes.